Sunday, October 28

Persephone

Persephone
Kaithlin Bevis

Publication Date: 6 July, 2012
Finish Date: 27 October, 2012
Format: e-book
Source: copy for review from author

Photobucket

From Goodreads: There are worse things than death, worse people too

The “talk” was bad enough, but how many teens get told that they’re a goddess? When her mom tells her, Persephone is sure her mother has lost her mind. It isn’t until Boreas, the god of winter, tries to abduct her that she realizes her mother was telling the truth. Hades rescues her, and in order to safely bring Persephone to the Underworld he marks her as his bride. But Boreas will stop at nothing to get Persephone. Despite her growing feelings for Hades, Persephone wants to return to the living realm. Persephone must find a way to defeat Boreas and reclaim her life.

Normally I am not a big fan of mythology books, sometimes I do pick one up though. When I was asked to review this book I didn’t doubt a second, the blurb sounded interesting and I love the cover!

I don’t read many mythology books and I actually had to ask someone else to explain the myth about Persephone to me so I knew where the book would be about. Nevertheless I did really enjoy the story. It’s a mix between Persephone who is trying to live a normal live at first and then the mythology aspect as she learn who she really is. The story was predictable at times, but it also surprised me. I finished this book in one day, because I just wanted to know what was going to happen next.

I really liked Persephone as a main character, she reacted so believable! When she learned she was a goddess she actually freaked out and didn’t believe it at first. She reacts very believable throughout the whole story and I really liked her as a character. I also loved the romance with Hades and how we got to know all the characters from the Underworld. I do think that the side characters could’ve given some more attention as I had difficulties forming a good impression of their characters. There are also some side characters which are worked out really well, like Cassandra, Thetanos and Hades.

Because I don’t know that much of mythology I had a bit more difficulties getting to know this world than most people who do know a bit about mythology. However this book gives the reader enough explanation to still understand what’s going on even without knowledge about mythology. Some myths are even explained short and I liked how the author dealt with this. I would like to know more about the world because I love world building, but I really liked how the author dealt with the world building. We didn’t get one big information dump, but learn more about the world gradually as Persephone learns more.

To conclude: I really liked this book. The story is interesting and I really liked the characters. The world building is done very well and I am looking forward to seeing what will happen in the next book.

  Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment