Wednesday, October 24

Earth (Elemental #1)

Earth (Elemental #1)
Shauna Granger

Publication Date: 1 May, 2011
Finish Date: 23 October, 2012
Format: e-book

From Goodreads: Shayna and her two best friends have the abilities to manipulate and control the four elements, earth, air, water and fire. While learning to hone their growing powers, they discover a new and malicious presence in their sleepy beach town. Someone is performing blood magic and threatens to expose their small magical community. So far only small animals have been slaughtered, but then the nightmares start.

Shayna suffers nightmares of being chased and sacrificed only to wake up bloodied and bruised. She thinks her magical blood is the ultimate target for the final blood rite. When an innocent girl, Tracy, is kidnapped Shayna knows it's only a ploy to draw her out; she can't let someone die because of her.

When I first heard of this book I wanted to read it because it sounds like it is about elemental magic and I was in the mood for that. Ofcourse it took some time before I actually started reading it. The strange thing with this book is that I enjoyed reading it, but when I wasn't reading I didn't had the urge to pick it up at all. I actually prefered to do other things than reading and as soon as I picked it up I was enjoying it again, just strange.

While the blurb and title gives a sense that it is mostly about elemental magic, it is not totally about this. It does plays a part, but actually a smaller part than I expected. Instead it focusses more on magic and rituals. I don't read that many books about magic like this and I liked reading about it. The story itself is kinda predictable, it just wasn't that surprising, the most surprising thing was finding out what the lead character and her friends could do with magic. The story was interesting enough to keep reading, but not interesting enough to keep me thinking about it when I put the book down.

I really liked the characters, they have enough personality characteristics to make them seem like real people. And I liked how close the lead character was with her friends and that although we only get the point of view of Shayna, we still have a good idea what's going on with her two best friends. There are also some side characters, which could;ve used a bit more attention, but most where interesting enough and we got enough information about them for the part they played in the book. There is also a bit romance in this book and that is one of the parts I didn't like, it just wasn't believeable and I thoguht the love interest was an annoying person for most of the book.

The world building was the kind that gives you a new piece of information as we go along. I actually have still no idea how much knowlegde of magic the characters have, how it exactly works, who the gaurdian angels where and basically there are just too many unanshwered questions. Also the ending is kinda lame and feels unresolved, the end where everything is building towards isn't as epic as I thought and then the explanations and resolvations just felt rushed and not thought through enough. I think the author just meant to make a basis in this book and more explanation and world building will follow in the rest of the series. I am interested to know where the author takes this series and will probably pick up the next book. And I liked the characters and want to read more about them.

To conclude: it was a nice book when I was reading it, but I had no urge to pick it up when I wasn't reading. The story is okay, although a bit predictable. I really like the main characters, but I didn't like the love interest. The world building lacks a bit, but I will probably pick up the next book in this series.

Photobucket  
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment