Thursday, October 25

Double Review: Destroy Me (Shatter Me #1.5) and Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2)

Destroy Me (Shatter Me #1.5)
Tahereh Mafi

Published By: Harper
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Genre: YA - Dystopia
Source: Bought
Format: E-Books
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13623150-destroy-me

From Goodreads:
Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .

Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me, Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

I have so many mixed feelings about this book. I was rather skeptical to read it with it being from Warner's POV because in book one of the series Shatter Me, I absolutely hated him. However with me dying to get my hands on Unravel Me I just had to read it to get my fix of the Shatter Me world while waiting for the second installment of the series. So I gave it a go, and I am glad I read it but I just didn't like it as much as other people seem to unfortunately.

Picking up where Shatter Me left off Juliette and Adam have escaped from the clutches of The Reestablishment and Warner. But Warner will do everything in his power to get Juliette back. But when his father steps in with drastic measures Warner will do everything to find Juliette... now.

I have such mixed feelings about this novella. I am really glad that I read it and it ended up really changing my perception of Warner. I really like him as a character and find his really interesting to read about. Maybe because of my background in psychology and his being a very 'messed up' character. While reading Destroy Me I started to understand Warner a little more. However while most people started to like Warner during this novella... I didn't. I still hate him and cannot stand him after this. I understand his character a bit more and I find him an interesting character but even after seeing his side of things I still just don't like him. He is just a character I dislike and even understanding him a little more isn't making me like him.

I found this book kind of slow and considering it is only a short novella it took me around 3 days to read it because I was just kind of bored throughout it. I adore Tahereh and her writing style and my thoughts about this novella is nothing to do with her writing style. I truly believe that because it was from Warner's POV I found it extremely hard to get into and to like as much as Shatter Me. I am glad that I read it and it definitely is worth reading before Unravel Me but I was a little disappointed and found I didn't like it as much as Shatter Me. It did leave me dying to find out what was going to happen next in Unravel Me thought so it's a great filler while waiting for Unravel Me to be released.


Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2)
Tahereh Mafi

Published By: Harper
Publication Date: February 5, 2013
Date Read: October 19, 2012
Genre: YA- Dystopia
Source: ARC
Format: Paperback
Pages: 465
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13104080-unravel-me
From Goodreads:
tick, tick, tick, tick, tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.
"We've been shattered and reconstructed, told to make an effort every single day to pretend we still function the way we're supposed to. But it's a lie, it's all a lie; every person, place, thing and idea is a lie."

Wow. Wow. Wow. There are no words to explain how amazing this book was. I never thought it could ever compare to the phenomenal start of this series, Shatter Me, but this was just as good and I loved every second of it just as I did with the first book of the series.

Adam and Juliette have escaped the clutches of the evil cooperation The Reestablishment. But things are just starting. Living in Omega Point is not as easy as Juliette thought. With the chance of being able to kill anyone in this sanctuary for people with powers, like her, Juliette withdraws and keeps to herself. But when unfortunate circumstance come to pull Juliette finds herself torn between her head and her heart. Will she be able to suit up and fight for the right thing or is she destined to always be at war with herself?

I was totally blown away by this book. It is just a phenomenal installment of the series and I really could not put it down. Tahereh's writing style is just incredible. She really captures you right from the start and draws you into this horrible dystopia world and you just have to know what is going to happen and you can't possibly stop reading until you do. One thing I absolutely loved about this book was that you really found out a lot more about the society and how things went bad and how they got to this point. I really loved finding out more about that as when I got to the end of Shatter Me I found myself wondering more about the world and the politics of the world and I loved to see that more in this book.

A lot of things I didn't really like started to happen in this book and although I hated the things that was happening I still adored the book and just couldn't help but still find the book unputdownable and I had to find out how it was all going to play out. Juliette is great in this book. I felt like she grew so much during this book. At the end of Shatter Me, beginning of Unravel Me she was still pretty timid and withdrawn into herself and I felt like she really turned into a kick-ass heroine in this one. She really grows and realises that she CAN make a difference in this world and she can be productive to a better cause. There were points in the book where I did not agree with what she was doing at all and I wanted to reach in the book and slap her or something but I feel like everything she went through is heavily important to her character. She really goes on a personal journey in this book and finds herself and I loved how much she grew and that she had to go through these things to realise what she's capable of and what she wants. I still love her and she is still one of my alltime favourite heroines.

Adam and Warner... the two boys of the book. Basically I love one of them and hate one of them and I don't think it's any surprise which is which. I fell in love with Adam in Shatter Me and I love him even more in Unravel Me. He is so cute and sweet and perfect and nobody else is perfect for Juliette. They are the perfect couple and I just adore their relationship. Adam has such a hard time in this book and many times I just wanted to jump in the book and give him a hug. I love him and I desperately hope things will work out for him in the next book.

Warner... Oh Warner... I so very much wanted to like you... but it just didn't happen. Hearing from other blogger friends of mine I truly thought I would fall in love with Warner in this book and I so wanted to like him but I got to the end and was like... Oh... well why is everyone in love with him? I feel sorry for him I do but he just irritates the life out of me. Yes I know he's had a bad upbringing and that that heavily impacts your life and I feel so bad for him, I do but I feel like so many things 'Warner Lovers' are blaming on his upbringing could easily have been avoided by him just making his own decision. So daddy doesn't approve well boo-f***ing-who. He still has free will and can make his own decisions. So his Father may have wanted him to kill someone so he did it? If Daddy asked him to jump off a cliff and kill himself would he? He can still choose and if his morals were so high and he was a good guy he wouldn't have killed people in the first place. I wanted to like him... I did but I just didn't and I still truly hate him. For me there is no competition in this so-called 'Love Triangle' it's a no-brainer guys... Team Adam all the way.

I absolutely adored this book and I love how Tahereh stuck with the strikeout thoughts throughout Unravel Me. It's not as much as the first one as it shows how much Juliette's mental state had improved but I loved that it was still in there. I adored this book and I cannot wait to read the next installment to find out what is going to happen next. I love this series and it is definitely one of my all time favourite dystopia series. I just adore this series, the storyline is phenomenal, the writing is phenomenal and that characters are incredible. I just love everything about this series. I was torn between giving Unravel Me 4 or 5 stars as I really didn't like some of the things that were happening. But the things that were happening really brought out these emotions in me and I loved the writing style so much I just had to give it 5. It's just amazing and I truly believe things will work out in the end. This is one of the best sequels I have ever read. Tahereh Mafi is a genius and I can't wait for book 3 in this unputdownable dystopia series.

"I'm not going anywhere. There won't ever be another person for me. You're the only one I've ever wanted and that's never, that's never going to change."



1 comments:

  1. Yes...i am thrilled you love it, this is on my hot list!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment