Wednesday, October 10

Cursed

Cursed
Jennifer Armentrout

Publication Date: September 18, 2012
Finish Date: October 8, 2012
Format: Hardcover


From Goodreads: Dying sucks-- and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.

Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out.

However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't? But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not have been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.
I read this book in one day, mostly during a long train ride. I loved the story and although it is predictable I really enjoyed it. There is just something about this authors writing style that makes me enjoy the books she writes. This book again had that keep-reading-feel and even though I made some right predictions about what was going to happen I still wanted to continue reading and see it all unfold.

The story actually is kind of predictable, some huge plot twists I saw coming for a long time. There where also some surprises and the story was really enjoyeable. It is different from the other books this author has written, but it is very good. I didn't mind the predictableness so much, becauseit was such an enjoyeable story.

The characters are very likeable. We really get to know Ember, Olivia and Hayden. And then there where Phoebe and Parker, we do get a bit of information about them, but I wanted more. I think these are two of the most interesting characters in this book and I would love to read a book about one of their point of views. There where also some side character from which I didn't really get a good idea who they are. I think that the main cause for this problem is that the book is pretty short. I also had quite some moments where I wanted to shake some sense into the characters, some of their actions just don't make sense and sometimes they are so blinded by their own believes.

World building is something that I found lacking in this book. We learn enough to understand what's going on, but we learned so less about the rest. The extent of their abilities and the amount of people that are like them. So many questions remain unanshwered. The world that the author has created isn't really original and I think that's why with a little more detail and explanation she could make it stand out more.

There were also some scenes that really reminded me of another book. I didn't really mind it, as it are only a few scenes and when books use the same general concepts there is also some overlap is certain scenes. Still the writing style and the story make this a totally different book.

To conclude: I really enjoyed this book, it has that keep-reading-feel and I love this authors writing style. The story was kind of predictable at times and I wanted to shake some sense in the characters quite often. The characters where really interesting and I would love to see a book from Phoebe or Parkers perspective. The world building was limited. All in all this is just a very enjoyeable story.

1 comments:

  1. Great review Lolita! Really honest :) this one isn't really high on my tbr list, but it sounds interesting :) is it more YA then her other books?

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment