Tuesday, September 11

Early Review: Breathe (Breathe #1)

Breathe (Breathe #1)
Sarah Crossan

Published By: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: October 11, 2012
Date Read: September 10, 2012
Genre: YA - Dystopia
Source: Review Copy from Bloomsbury Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 384
Photobucket
From Goodreads:
When oxygen levels plunge in a treeless world, a state lottery decides which lucky few will live inside the Pod. Everyone else will slowly suffocate. Years after the Switch, life inside the Pod has moved on. A poor Auxiliary class cannot afford the oxygen tax which supplies extra air for running, dancing and sports. The rich Premiums, by contrast, are healthy and strong. Anyone who opposes the regime is labelled a terrorist and ejected from the Pod to die. Sixteen-year-old Alina is part of the secret resistance, but when a mission goes wrong she is forced to escape from the Pod. With only two days of oxygen in her tank, she too faces the terrifying prospect of death by suffocation. Her only hope is to find the mythical Grove, a small enclave of trees protected by a hardcore band of rebels. Does it even exist, and if so, what or who are they protecting the trees from? A dystopian thriller about courage and freedom, with a love story at its heart.
"I will die because I knew there has to be a better way to live."

Wow! I don't really know what I was expecting when I picked up Breathe but it definitely wasn't that. I hadn't really heard much about Breathe, all I knew was that it was a dystopia which instantly made me want to read it. I love dystopia books and they are fast becoming my favourite genre of book. When I got an email from Bloomsbury Publishing with a chance to review this book I jumped at the chance and now I just want to say Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for sending me this phenomenally addictive book that I just cannot stop thinking and gushing about.

In a dystopian world where there are no trees to produce Oxygen, everyone lives inside 'The Pod'. Air is taxed so only the rich can afford the extra air to exercise and so they are healthy and fit while the poor are struggling just to pay for air to help them survive. Aline is a part of a secret Rebel group, The Resistance, and she must escape The Pod before they find her. With the help of new friend Quinn, she is able to escape into the world with two days oxygen in her tank. But when Quinn and best friend Bea go out of the pod for a holiday they are faced with the fact that all they have ever known and believed in is a lie. Will they be able to go back to the safety of The Pod with all their new knowledge? Or are the destined for a greater cause to help re-build the world everyone once knew.

Sarah Crossan is truly an amazing author. Her writing sucked me in right from the first page and I found it extremely difficult to put the book down. My family had to even remind me when it was lunchtime so I could eat because I was just completely absorbed by this book. Her writing is incredible and I am officially dubbing her as the queen of multiple perspectives. I really love split POV books but usually that includes the story from two perspectives. In Breathe you get the story told to you in three perspectives. I wasn't really sure about this as first but by the time i had reached the end of part 1 I loved getting inside the head of these three characters.

My favourite character in Breathe is definitely without a doubt Bea. This was definitely not expected for me. From the blurb I was convinced that I was going to love Alina, she is the character mentioned and I was sure she would be the main character. Although Alina is a very important character I feel like Bea is more of the main character. I could really relate to Bea a lot more than Alina. Bea is the girl who has always believed that The Pod is there to protect them and once she gets outside the Pod and starts to discover all the conspiracies and lies that the people running the Pod have been telling she really starts to change. I love her journey throughout the book, she goes from innocent love-struck and doing what people tell her to independent, strong and determined to do the right thing. I absolutely love her and in my opinion she is the best character in the book.

The other two main characters I had a little more difficulty connecting with. I wasn't really sure about Quinn at first. He is the rich boy who has always had everything and doesn't know what it's like to be starved for Air. He came across to me as someone who was very sheltered and was just happy to go along living like he was. But by the end I really liked him. He really grew a lot as a character and I think he is a strong male character who is going to show his strength and his independence and determination to do the right thing a lot more in the second book in this series. Alina I'm still not sure about. She is very strong and independent, basically everything I usually love in a female character but she just seemed too uptight and against the world and by the end I'm still not really sure what to think of her. She didn't really seem to grow much as a character throughout the book as much as the other two so I am hoping that we will get to see a different side to her in the next book.

I genuinely loved every second of this book. It was heart-pounding and so many times I couldn't believe what I was reading. I was sat on the edge of my seat not able to turn the pages fast enough as I just couldn't put the book down. I read it in one sitting and I am just completely and utterly blown away by this book. It completely blew my mind. It is such a unique dystopian world and I cannot wait to read on in this series and find out what is going to happen next. If you love a book with heart-pounding action with a hint of a great romance this is definitely the book for you. I absolutely adored this book and I cannot wait to read on. I will be counting down the days until I can read the second book. I loved every moment of it.

"Until today I've never really understood what it must be like to crave air so desperately. I understand now."

Photobucket
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. You are so lucky! This book sounds so good.
    I really want to read it.
    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh I have goosebumps after reading your review. I love dystopians too and this sounds wonderful..i cannot wait to meet Bea and the world building sounds sweet! Awesome review, I love when a books makes you this excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored reading Breathe, it became the book of the month last month on my blog! It was such an amazing read. I adored Quinn, though I think that's the only place where our opinion is different... Great review Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much I hope you really like it =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I know. It was so great I already can't wait for book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this one. I have seen it around and I think it sounds fascinating.


    Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment