Monday, September 10

Review: Auracle

Auracle
Gina Rosati

Published By: Roaring Brook Press
Publication Date: August 7, 2012
Date Read: September 10, 2012
Genre: YA - Paranormal Romance
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 304
Photobucket
From Goodreads:
16 year old Anna Rogan has a secret she's only shared with her best friend, Rei; she can astrally project out of her body, allowing her spirit to explore the world and the far reaches of the universe.

When there's a fatal accident and her classmate Taylor takes over Anna's body, what was an exhilarating distraction from her repressive home life threatens to become a permanent state. Faced with a future trapped in another dimension, Anna turns to Rei for help. Now the two of them must find a way to get Anna back into her body and stop Taylor from accusing an innocent friend of murder. Together Anna and Rei form a plan but it doesn't take into account the deeper feelings that are beginning to grow between them.
Right from the moment I first heard about this book I couldn't wait to read it. I had heard such amazing things about this book and I have never read a book about Astral Projection before so I couldn't wait to start this book as I knew it would be something completely new and unique to me. Unfortunately I'm a little disappointed with it. I don't know whether it's because I had heard such amazing things about this book that I just had too high expectations but for me it didn't live up to my expectations.

Anna is special. She can astral project and she has many adventures while her body appears to be sleeping. But on one of her journey's there is an accident killing one of the classmates and her classmate's soul has taken over Anna's body. Trapped in the Astral plane Anna and her best friend Rei must find a way to get Anna back in her body before her classmate wrongly accuses someone of her murder. Can they fix it before an innocent classmate goes to jail? And what will happen to Anna's spirit trapped outside her body?

The blurb of this book really drew me in and I really couldn't wait to start this book. I really loved the storyline. It's such a great unique new thing for me to read. I don't know how many books about astral projection there is out there but this is the first one I have read and I found the premise of the book very interesting. I was definitely interested in the storyline and couldn't wait to find out what happened.

Another thing I loved about this book is the characters. I really loved the main characters in this book. I thought Anna was a great heroine. She was strong and determined. She has had such an awful life and her family is definitely broken and I love how she is still so strong and goes on. But then you also see the vulnerable side to her as she starts to think that she may be stuck in the Astral plane forever. I also loved Rei. He is my new book boyfriend. He is so adorably cute and I love how he worried about Anna so much.

My problem with this book is that I had a major problem with the pacing. Something really exciting and interesting would happen and it would have me going 'ooh I can't wait to see what's gonna happen next' BUT then nothing would really happen for the next 5 or 6 chapters. Just as the book would pick up then it would slow down and I would find myself very bored and seriously considering just giving up on the book. The only thing that really kept me going was I wanted to see if the characters would get together in the end.

In a book like Auracle it has such an interesting storyline that I should have been dying to find out what was going to happen. Was Anna going to get back into her body? Would they save Seth from going to jail for something he didn't do? But I found myself not even caring about what was going to happen in terms of the plotline but rather I was more interested in whether Rei and Anna would end up together in the end. That is definitely not what I was supposed to be feelings when reading a book like this.

Although the storyline was very interesting and I was interested in the storyline I found my mind wandering and being very bored throughout the whole first half of the book. The second half of the book was a lot better and held my attention a lot better but overall I was really disappointed in this book. I was definitely expecting more from this book. It's definitely worth a read but it's not a book I would rush out to buy and read straight away.

Photobucket
Photobucket

1 comments:

  1. ok now this seems cool. astral projection? i've been interested in this a while but have not read a good paranormal book about it! thanks for the review!!!
    -Amanda over at http://shmandarinorange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment