Tuesday, September 18

Review: Alight: The Peril (Pyxis #2)

Alight (Pyxis #2)
KC Neal

Publication Date: September 21, 2012
Date Read: September 17, 2012
Genre: YA - Paranormal Romance
Source: Review Copy from Author
Format: E-Book
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13378019-alight

From Goodreads:
When Corinne learns who the second Guardian is, she must find a way to make peace with the last person in the world she wants to deal with. As she struggles, her nemesis unleashes an otherworldly evil, and a mysterious illness strikes Corinne’s friends. Faltering under the weight of her destiny, Corinne escapes to the dream world. There, she meets Zane, an Australian guy with a hot accent and a revelation that binds them together and alters the path of Corinne’s life. She throws herself into fighting for everything she loves, but just as she’s certain she will prevail, she’s robbed of what she needs most.

There are no words to explain just how excited I was when KC emailed this book to me. I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of the first book in this series Pyxis last year and I completely devoured it! I loved every single second of it and have been dying to get my hands on the second book in this series for soooo long. And finally I have it! And I devoured this one even more quickly than teh first one I think. I just could not put this book down. I loved every moment of it.

Corinne must come to terms with the fact that she has a very important magical job to do and she must find the second Guardian as fast as possible so that they may start working as a team before bad things start to happen. When the Guardian is revealed Corinne must learn to work with them no matter how difficult it is to get along. But soon Corinne discovers that there are others like her and there may be a dark force out to get her team. Can Corinne use her powers to keep them all safe?

I loved this book so much. Right from the very first page I was sucked back into Corinne's magical world and couldn't put the book down until I had finished as I just had to know what was going to happen. KC's writing technique is just amazing and she has this incredible talent of reminding you what had happened in the previous book without it beind repetitive and tell you everything all over again through the narrator's thoughts re-living it as so many YA books tend to. I admit it had been a long time, 11 months to be exact, since I read the first book in the series, Pyxis: The Discovery. With it being so long when I first started reading I found myself struggling to remember the specifics of what had happened and I slowly found myself remembering again just by following Corinne's actions in the beginning of Alight. I really loved that I was able to remember what happened without having to be re-told and the narration becoming repetitive.

If you read my review of the first book Pyxis you will know that I absolutely love Corinne as a lead character. This didn't really change in this book. She is such a fantastic lead female and I love her spirit and how she has so much pressure on her and she still just gets on with it and doesn't let it get her down. HOWEVER, sometimes in Alight, I wanted to give her a good shake and scream "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I hated that she started keeping things from Mason. I love Mason. I absolutely adore him and I am firmly on Team Mason. So when Corinne met Zane and started keeping her meeting with Zane from Mason I was a little annoyed with her. Mason is perfect and he and Corinne are one of those couples that just have to be together because they are meant-to-be so how their relationship developed in Alight I wasn't such a fan of how it went. I desperately need them to be together so to see them drifting apart and having these secrets between them I really didn't like that.

I have firmly come to the conclusion that I hate love triangles. I purely HATE them. The reason? They just cause me so much stress and I am always getting angry at the lead female and freaking out over how the story will end. Enter our other boy Zane. I don't like him. At times I kinda hated him. He's not bad. I don't think he's a bad guy I think he's good, he's sweet, he's hawt and he's Australian *insert drool here* BUT there is one this he is NOT. He's just not Mason. And Mason is my guy. Zane is alright and all but I don't know there's just something about him I don't like. And it's not that he's coming between Corinne and Mason... Okay you're right it TOTALLY is that but also I don't really trust him. I don't understand his actions and why he was doing some of the things he was. Why is he so concerned about Corinne instead of his own Pyxis? Why is he around all the time? I don't like him and I don't trust him.

There is so much drama and important things happening in Alight. With the Pyxis series being a trilogy there is one thing I was afraid of and that was that Alight would become the typical middle book. You know the one where not much really happens and it's all just a big build up to the showdown in the final book. Alight was in no way a typical middle book. There was romance and action and even a big showdown itself in Alight. It was jam-packed with twists and turns, some having me jumping up and yelling to an empty room I KNEW IT, others having me gasping and gobsmacked with my jaw hitting the floor going OMG I never saw that coming.

Alight is an increidble addition to the Pyxis series and the ending has left me reeling totally heartbroken dying to find out what is going to happen in the final book. If you want a rollercoaster ride that there's so many ups and downs it could give you whiplash this is the series for you. There is breathtaking romance and heart-stopping that will you reeling and breathless begging for more.



2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm excited to get to this one now!

    Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you love it Val. It was so damn good and I can't wait for book 3

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment