Wednesday, September 26

Blog Tour: The Midnight Court by Jane Kindred


Hey Guys,
I'm so excited to be a part of the blog tour for The Midnight Court, the second book in the House of Arkhangel'sk series by Jane Kindred.

Now first some information about the book.

The Midnight Court (The House of Arkangel'sk #2)
Jane Kindred

Photobucket

From Goodreads:
Against the pristine ice of Heaven, spilled blood and a demon’s fire will spark celestial war.

The exiled heir to the throne of Heaven, Grand Duchess Anazakia, and her demon companions, Belphagor and Vasily, have made a comfortable home in the Russian city of Arkhangel’sk, but their domestic bliss is short lived. When their daughter, Ola, is taken as a pawn in Heaven’s demon revolution, the delicate fabric of their unorthodox family is torn apart—threatening to separate Belphagor and Vasily for good.

Anazakia is prepared to move Heaven and Earth to get her daughter back from Queen Aeval, risen in Elysium from the ashes of temporary defeat. But Aeval isn’t the only one seeking Ola’s strange power.

To conquer the forces amassing against them, Anazakia is prophesied to sacrifice one close to her heart, while Vasily’s fire will prove more potent than anyone suspected. In the ultimate battle for supremacy over Heaven’s empire, loyalties will be tested and secrets will be revealed, but love will reign supernal.

I am so happy to welcome Jane back to K-Books today.


Hi Jane,
Thanks for taking the time to be on K-Books today.
When did you first discover that you wanted to be a writer?

In sixth grade, I found out we could write stories for extra credit, and I was that obnoxious kid who always wanted an A+, so I started writing them. It became addictive and I pretty much never stopped.

Most of your books are in the Paranormal genre. Did you always want to write in this genre?

My books are technically epic fantasy, which can include paranormal elements as part of the invented world and the system of magic. The first stories I wrote for that extra credit in grade school were all science fiction, and then I started writing stories about magical elements in the everyday world. I wrote several (awful) gothic romance and romantic suspense novellas in my teens along with romantic fantasy, but magic tended to creep back in when I tried to write strictly romance.

What genre book do you enjoy reading?

I love both epic fantasy and urban fantasy, and I’m also a fan of some horror, depending on how dark it is.

Do you have any authors that you look up to or that inspire you?

Stephen King has always inspired me because his stories manage to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic. I’m also a huge fan of Lynn Flewelling and Jacqueline Carey who have been pioneers in breaking some of the barriers in the fantasy genre, such as including a romance in the story, and having LGBT characters—and just by being women writers in a traditionally male-dominated field.

Your book The Midnight Court has been released. What was the inspiration behind that story?

The Midnight Court is the second in The House of Arkhangel’sk trilogy, and the series was inspired by the story of Grand Duchess Anastasia and the mythology that surrounded her rumored survival of the murders of the Russian imperial family.

How do you feel about unleashing this story into the world?

As always, there’s a little trepidation, wondering how it’s going to be received, and with a sequel, there’s the added element of whether the second book will meet the expectations of readers who liked the first one. I love writing these characters and I love knowing they’re out there in the world for other people to discover. I hope readers will love them as much as I do.

Do you take any personal experiences and adapt them into your writing?

I do tend to sprinkle in little bits of things that have left a particular impression on me, such as a particular restaurant I’ve been to or a favorite place. In The House of Arkhangel’sk, there are a lot of little moments I took from my trip to Russia—the places I stayed, things I saw, people I met. There’s a character in The Midnight Court who’s based on the woman who hosted me at her home in St. Petersburg, and her real-life apartment plays an unrelated but key part in The Fallen Queen.

Are there any particular scenes that you enjoy writing more than others?

I love writing scenes where two characters who have been kept apart through outside forces (or because of their own stubbornness) finally get together. And writing the “kiss and make up” scenes is always fun, too. ;)

And finally what can we expect to see from you in the future?

The third book in the series, The Armies of Heaven, comes out next May, and there are other books planned for the series. Recently, I started working on a romantic suspense to see if that genre was still something that spoke to me, but it has quickly turned into a paranormal. I just can’t help myself.

Getting to Know You – Quick Fire Round

Hardcopy or E-Book? Hardcopy. I love e-books, too, for the ease of carrying them with me, but I still love holding a book in my hand.
Bookmark or Dog-Ear? Bookmark. Grrr. I hate it when people dog-ear my books. (I mean the books I own…you can dog-ear the ones I write all you like. LOL)
Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate. Extra dark.
Summer or Winter? Summer, because I have Seasonal Affective Disorder and it affects my ability to write.
Ice-Cream or Cake? It depends on the kind of ice cream. If it’s Häagen-Dazs Deep Chocolate Peanut Butter, definitely ice cream. I would kill for that ice cream, but as far as I can tell, it isn’t available in San Francisco. But anything else and I’d say cake first. Chocolate, of course. I hate white cake.
Coffee or Tea? I like them both, but I love the ritual of tea and all the varieties.

Thank you so much for being here on K-Books with us today.

Thanks so much for having me back!

  About the author:
Jane Kindred began writing fantasy at age 12 in the wayback of a Plymouth Fury—which, as far as she recalls, never killed anyone…who didn’t have it coming. She spent her formative years ruining her eyes reading romance novels in the Tucson sun and watching Star Trek marathons in the dark. Although she was repeatedly urged to learn a marketable skill, she received a B.A. in Creative Writing anyway from the University of Arizona.

She now writes to the sound of San Francisco foghorns while two cats slowly but surely edge her off the side of the bed.

You can find Jane on Twitter, Facebook, Goodreads, and on her website
Buy The Book:
-->
The Midnight Court is available now in print and ebook from Amazon | Barnes & Noble | BAM | The Book Depository | Books On Board | Diesel eBooks | Indigo | Powell’s Books.
 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment