Friday, April 13

Water (Akasha #1) & Air (Akasha #2)

Water (Aksaha #1)
Terra Harmony

Publication Date: September 26, 2011
Finish Date: Januaru 16, 2012
Format: e-book
Source: bought

Photobucket


From Goodreads: All of the elemental powers are in the palm of her hand…and it won't be enough to save her. When Kaitlyn Alder is involuntarily introduced to a life of magic, she becomes part of an organization hell-bent on saving the Earth. Just as her new-found life holds promises of purpose, romance, and friendship, the organization divides and a rogue member holds Kaitlyn hostage. Now one of the most terrifying men the human race has to offer stands between her and Earth's survival.

I really liked this book, but the beginning wasn't that good, so 4 stars for this one. When I found this book the idea of a book focussed on elemental powers attracted my attention. In some books elemental powers do play a role, but mostly as a side effect. Here it is the focus. Altough I think the blurb is giving a slightly different impression of the book. If you expect people playing with their element and trowing raw elemental power at each other it isn't exaclty what the book is about. It is more about a group of people whith varying powers and different strengts who use their powers to help nature. Think of elemental powers crossed with environmental activist. Well I have to admit the focus is not too much on that environmental part, but it does formed the whole core of this organization.

So what did I think of the story? Orginal, attention capturing and it does have that keep-on-reading feel in overall. I have to admit the beginning of this book is confusing as hell. Really confusing, there where so many questions that I had a hard time feeling connected to the book. Luckily I am not a person who put's a book down quickly. After the first 30 percent of the book was spent wondering where the hell it was about and when I would get an explanation I finally got a sense of where the book was about and I tried to accept that the author wasn't going to give me answhers to all my questions. So after the initial confusing beginning, which took a bit too long I think, the book got really good. The story was good, original and intriguing. It was very difficult from most of the books I read and I really liked it. The world keeps being a bit confusing and I still didn't get all the anshwers I wanted, but was such a good book that I was almost able to forgot it. There where some slow moment, but the story is very good and kept me reading.

Well now the characters. I really liked Kaithlin the narrator, she is a strong and funny girl. She makes many sarcastic comments and jokes and this made her an enjoable character. Further she comes over as a strong character, but also accpet that she needs intimacy and friends. There is a nice romance in this story, it starts off a bit too fast, but after that it somehow calmed down and I really liked that part it played in the book. It is interwoven with the story and somehow seems part of the story too. The side characters are very likeable too and even the evil chcracter has a soft side, which makes it that more believeable.

To conclude a really good book, but the beginning was a bit confusing. I liked the characters and the story was really good and original. I will be looking forward to the next book. Terra Harmony has already has proven to be a very good writer!











Air (Akasha #2)
Terra Harmony

Publication Date: February 15, 2012
Finish Date: February, 2012
Format: e-book
Source: review copy from author





From Goodreads: She carries more than just elemental powers. In ‘Air’, the sequel to ‘Water’ of the Akasha Series, Kaitlyn has a secret. One she won’t be able to hide much longer. As the strongest Gaia the planet has ever seen, she must face mankind’s greatest enemy as he campaigns for ‘One Less: Depopulation’. Everything depends on Kaitlyn fully embracing her role as Gaia. Her family. The Seven. The Earth. Something has to give, and it won’t be Kaitlyn.

I really liked this book. It is even better than the first book. I really liked the world and the story was really great. I liked that Terra Harmony created her own genre, eco-fantasy, and such an original story with this series. Where Water was still a bit of an introduction to the world, Air takes us right into the story. Kaithlin is pregnant and the Seven wants to find and Shawn. But Shawn has his own plans and plans.

This book has a fantastic story and I enjoyed every minute of it. I have to admit that some parts where a bit slow paced, but the story kept interesting and I just wanted to keep reading. And I really like Terra harmony’s writing style. The story is also pretty unpredictable, I was again and again surprised by twists I didn’t see coming.

The only min point of this story was the fact that Kaithlin is pregnant and this limits her ability to do certain things. So this book contains less action and less tromance and more dealing with her pregnancy. I also think that sometimes the focus of this book was a bit too much on Kaithlin and her pregnancy.

The characters develop some more in this book and I really liked most of them. We get to see more of Alex in this book and I really liked him. We are also introduced to some new characters and of course we get to know more about Kaithlin and Micah. They again have obstacles to overcome in their relationship. I liked seeing how the characters developed and changed in this book.

I just really like this story. It is a story I keep thinking about and I really want to read the rest of this series and read what happens next. It is such an interesting world and a great story. What I also like is that it is obvious that the author spend much time researching facts, there are real events that happened to which is referred in this book and this makes it even more believable, even though it is a fantasy story.

To conclude: I really liked this book, it was even better than Water and I really enjoyed reading it. I liked the story and seeing the characters develop. The only thing I didn’t like was the focus on Kaithlin’s pregnancy, but I understand that this is an important part of the book. I would surely recommend this series to people who like original fantasy stories or even people who care about saving the world, because this story is a strange combination of both interests.







Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lolita, for such a great review of both Water and Air! I am working hard at the third book, Fire, and will be sure to send you an ARC before October!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can't wait to read Fire!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment