Saturday, April 21

Touch of Power (Healer #1)

Touch of Power (Healer #1)
Maria v Snyder

Publication Date: December 20, 2011
Finish Date: March 6, 2012
Format: paperback



From Goodreads: THEY DESTROYED HER WORLD. BUT SHE’S THEIR ONLY HOPE...

Avry’s power to heal the sick should earn her respect in the plague-torn land of Kazan. Instead she is feared. Her kind are blamed for the horrifying disease that has taken hold of the nation. When Avry uses her forbidden magic to save a dying child, she faces the guillotine. Until a dark, mysterious man rescues her from her prison cell. His people need Avry’s magic to save their dying prince. The very prince who first unleashed the plague on Kazan.

Saving the prince is certain to kill Avry – yet she already faces a violent death. Now she must choose – use her healing touch to show the ultimate mercy or die a martyr to a lost cause?
I really enjoyed this book. Maria v Snyder created a new and magical world, with great characters and a good story! I have enjoyed many of Maria v Snyders books and that was also the reason that I bought this book. I also like the idea of a lead character that can heal people by getting sick herself.

This book has a great story, although it sometimes is a bit predictable. I think that is one of the few minpoints of this book. Because I have read most of Maria v Snyders other book it is easy to see a pattern in her books and some things that happen are therefore a bit predictable. Like the fact that the lead person often get's captured and most of the time escapes are a bit too easy. Another point is that I found the beginning a bit slow. The start of the book was quite actionful and sucked me into the story, but after that it got a bit slow. We get to know the characters a bit and then just wait until they know each other better while they travel and nothing really happens. Until after a while the action picks up again and it didn't get slow again.

What I always love in maria v snyders books is the world building and the characters. And this book is no exception. The world is very thought through, complete with magic users, which kings and leaders have the power, political intrigues and history. This world is different from her earlier books, but just as good. I also like the new original types of magic users found in this book.

Then the characters, they are just great. I quickly became to love the characters, they all have their own personalities and quirks and that makes them easy likeable. Also the chooses they make and how they act is very believeable. I don't often read epic fantasy, but I always love maria v Snyders books, I think this is because of the attention to the characters, their personalities and relationships.

To conclude: a great book! Good world building, great characters and a interesting story. The only minpoints are the fact that the beginning is a bit slow and some things are a bit predictable. I certainly am looking forward to the next book to see the adventures of these characters continue!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment