Saturday, April 14

Oppression (Children of the Gods #1)

Oppression (Children of the Gods #1)
Jessica Therrien

Publication Date: February 28, 2012
Finish Date: March 31, 2012
Format: paperback

Photobucket

From Goodreads: Elyse knows what it means to keep a secret. She's been keeping secrets her whole life. Two, actually. First, that she ages five times slower than the average person, so that while she looks eighteen years old, she's closer to eighty. Second, that her blood has a mysterious power to heal. For Elyse, these things don't make her special. They make life dangerous. After the death of her parents, she's been careful to keep her secret as closely guarded as possible. Now, only one other person in the world knows about her age and ability. Or so she thinks. Elyse is not the only one keeping secrets. There are others like her all over the world, descendants of the very people the Greeks considered gods. She is one of them, and they have been waiting for her for a long time. Among so many of her kind, she should not be very remarkable--except for the prophecy. Some believe she will put an end to traditions, safeguarded by violence, which have oppressed her people for centuries. Others are determined to keep her from doing just that. But for Elyse, the game is just beginning--and she's not entirely willing to play by their rules.


This is a very nice and original read. I really did enjoy it. Normally I don't really look for mythology books, but this one was really good, with an original take on the subject (at least as far as I know, since I haven't actually read that much mythology books).

I really liked the story, there where some twists that I didn't like, but overal it was an enjoyable read. It certainly sucked me right in, it was really different than I expected. I also liked it more than I expected I would. The story is nice, it has it's heavy moments, but there are also some light and happy moment despite the subject being quite serious.

The characters are really likeable, The lead character Elyse is a strong and brave person, but even though she should be like eighty years old she really reacts like a teenager on most things. I also think she made some stupid descisions. The side characters where also great, although I would've liked to get to know them more. The attention and focus of this book really was on Elyse and her love interest. I have to admit that I really liked the romance part, I hadn't expected the romance, but it was done really good. The romance actually develops as part of the story and not too quick.

I think what I liked most about this book is the world building. I really liked the idea behind this book. Although there where some parts that where a bit too unbelieveable. The concept and idea behind the story just is really interesting and original.

Another thing I really liked about this book is that it still felt like a light read most of the time,s even though there where some heavy and serious topics. The writing style is really good and I just kept reading wnating to know what was going to happen to Elyse and her friends.

To conclude: overal a very enjoyable read. There where some parts and twists in the story that i didn't like, but overal it was a great book. The story is good, the characters enjoyable and thw world is really original and interesting. I am looking forward to the next book.


Photobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I'm loving this cover!!! It's sounds different and interesting. Will need to see about getting. It.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for your honest review! I haven't read that many reviews for this one yet, but I have an eBook on my Kindle and really hope to get to it sometime later this year. Definitely like how you've described it. :)

    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was waiting for this review to be put up. So glad you enjoyed it!!! I can't wait for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a really good book, I am looking forward to book 2. It's original and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reviewing my book!! I'm so glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment