Thursday, April 5

The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1)

The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1)
Julie Kagawa

Publication Date: February 1, 2010
Date Finished: April 5, 2012
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 363

Photobucket
From Goodreads:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.



"Besides I was a faery princess now. Even if I didn't believe it."


My first thought on this book is why the hell didn't I start this sooner? The Iron King has sat on my shelf for about a year and a half and no matter what amazing things I heard about this series I never really had the motivation to pick it up. That is until I heard of Julie Kagawa's new book 'The Immortal Rules' coming out. I instantly wanted to read it and me being the book obsessed person I am wanted to read her first series first. Yes I know they are different series and nothing alike but I wanted to read this series first anyway. Now I am kicking myself for not delving into this series before now. I am very impressed with the book.


Meghan has never fit in anywhere and always felt on the outside. She then discovers she is different from everyone else. She is half Fae, and not only that her Father, her 'real' father is the one and only Oberon. You know, the king from 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'? Yea that's the one. And not only that her supposedly mortal best friend is Puck. She is suddenly thrown into this mysterious and dangerous world of the Fae and discovers she has a destiny to help the Fae in a war. Add Ash, the gorgeous and dangerous Winter Faery Prince, into the mix and Meghan is in for deep trouble. Will she be able to embrace her destiny which keeping her life and her heart safe?


I am so impressed with this book. It instantly hooked me and although I wasn't loving it right from the start I was very interested and intrigued as to what will happen. Julie's writing style is incredible and just kept me reading and I could not put the book down. I am definitely a fan of Julie. She has an incredible talent for hooking the reader and throwing all these twists that you definitely do not see coming. So many times I was completely taken aback from what was happening as I just didn't see it coming at all. Just as you think you know what's going to happen there's some twist that you never really saw coming. I haven't read all that many Fae books but this is definitely one of the stronger ones and without a doubt the best YA Fae book I have read.


Meghan is a great character. There were times when I was a little irritated with her. Most of this was when something dangerous is coming right towards her and she doesn't move. Why? Why would you not move? When all the other characters are saying you better hide and she just stands there! What is up with that? Apart from that I loved her. I thought she was a great lead heroine and she dealt with everything well. I really liked her reactions to the Fae and how shocked she was instead of instantly accepting anything that the other characters said.
Puck is one of my favourite characters in the whole book. He was amazing. So many things he did or said had me literally laughing out loud. He is just hilarious and I love him. I think he's such a great best friend and I am kinda sad that Meghan can't see his feelings for her. He's so sweet and funny and I just love him. I want a best friend like him. Life would definitely not be boring.
I love Ash. I just love him, he's just so sweet and so many times towards the end of the book I was sat there going awwwwww I love him so much. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens with him Meghan and Puck in the next books.


I thought this was just a fantastic strong start to what I think will be an incredible series. I can't wait to see what happens next. I am so glad that I have the other books to start as there is no way I could not read on. I think this is going to be one of my very favourite Fae books.


"I felt him smile, "You made me feel alive again," he murmured."


Photobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Well, another book I can resist. Thanks. :-)

    Better to invite twice than forget completely.

    Have you followed me over yet. My new url is:

    http://emaginette.wordpress.com/

    The door is open, just walk on in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really glad you enjoyed this - The Iron Fey series is one of my favourites - though I was pretty late to the party in terms of reading it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEY - great review Kay.

    I'm glad you enjoyed it... And this isn't even the best one... the best is to come! Can't wait to hear what you think of the rest!!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment