Monday, April 2

Review: Everneath (Everneath #1)

Everneath (Everneath #1)
Brodi Ashton

Published By:
Publication Date: January 24, 2012
Date Read: April 1, 2012
Genre: YA - Mythology
Source: Gifted from Misty @ Bookaholics Book Club
Format: Paperback
Pages: 370
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9413044-everneath
From Goodreads:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...



"I didn't tell him I'd thought of him every day. That even when every other memory had faded, he'd never left."

When I first heard of this book I couldn't wait to read it. I am a huge fan of mythology books and this sounded just like something I would love. Then I saw the cover, who wouldn't wanna read a book with that cover? It's just gorgeous. I have heard such mixed things about the book that I did put it off for a while but after Ali from Winged Reviews said she was going to start it, I thought I would buddy read it. I was really amazed. After hearing the mixed reviews I thought I would be a little disappointed but I wasn't. I really enjoyed this book and ended up reading it in a day. I couldn't put it down.


Nikki has spend 100 years in the Everneath. Cole, the immortal who enticed her to the Everneath has spent that time sucking all the emotions away from her. She shouldn't remember a thing about her previous life but she does. She remembers Jack, her boyfriend that she would do anything to be with again. Choosing to return to the surface to see her loved ones again she find only six months has passed there, but she only has six months before the Everneath will come and claim her. Will she be able to find a way to stay on the Surface with Jack or will she be doomed to return to the Everneath forever?


I really enjoyed this book and the thing that kept me reading was the writing style. You don't really know what has happened to make Nikki end up in the Everneath. You are thrown into the story where Nikki is returning and don't really know what's happened in order for this to have happened. This I wasn't quite sure about at first, I was confused and I wanted to know why this had happened. This actually became one of my favourite parts of the book. It's like you are reading two stories at once, the present day where Nikki has come back from the Everneath and the past, one year ago, leading up to what has happened now. I really loved that about the book, it's like you were waiting holding your breath for two important events, one you knew but really didn't want to happen and one you just didn't know what was going to happen. I loved it and it kept me reading as I needed to know what had happened and what was going to happen.


Nikki is a great charater, I liked her. I liked her vulnerability and how she let her emotions rule. She wasn't always a head-strong character and I liked that about her. I loved that we saw two very different sides to her, the before and after the Everneath and how it changed her and made her more determined to set things right.
Cole is the typical 'bad boy' of the book and you really love to hate him. He messed everything up for Nikki so I kinda hated him for it but then at points in the book, I thought oh well maybe he isn't so bad. By the end I'm just torn, I love him and I hate him at the same time. 
I absolutely love Jack. He is the sweetest character ever. I just loved him and the more I read, both in the past and the present I was always thinking what possibly could have made Nikki go with Cole to the Everneath, what could Jack have possibly done? He's just the perfect boyfriend that any girl would want and the more I read the more I felt sorry for him and just wanted to give him a hug. He completely made my heart break.


This story is just a rollercoaster, I have a love-hate relationship with some of the characters and it just kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what was going to happen. I really enjoyed it and the ending had me in tears with a broken heart. I kinda expected what happened once I got about 50 pages from the end but it still left me utterly heartbroken. I cannot wait to read book 2 and find out what is going to happen and whether everything will get set straight. I'm hoping it will and I really need to find out what will be next for Nikki, Jack and Cole.
Everneath is a very different book from what I've read before, with the past and the present being told at the same time, not in flashbacks but like your teleported back and it's actually happening. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to see where the story goes from here.

"Heroes are made by the paths they choose, not the powers they are graced with."




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment