Monday, February 13

Prince of Wolves (Grey Wolves #1)

Prince of Wolves (Grey Wolves #1)
Quinn Loftis

Publication Date: June 29, 2011
Date Finished: 12 February
Format: e-book


From Goodreads: Jaque Pierce was just an ordinary 17 year old girl getting ready to start her senior year in high school in Coldspring, Texas. When a mysterious foreign exchange student from Romania moves in across the street, Jacque and her two best friends, Sally and Jen, don't realize the last two weeks of their summer was going to get a lot more interesting. From the moment Jacque sets eyes on Fane she feels an instant connection, a pull like a moth to a flame. Little does she know that the flame she is drawn to is actually a Canis Lupus, werewolf, and she just happens to be his mate; the other half of his soul. The problem is Fane is not the only wolf in Coldspring, Texas. Just as Fane and Jacque are getting to know each other, another wolf steps out to try and claim Jacque as his mate. Fane will now have to fight for the right to complete the mating bond, something that is his right by birth but is being denied him by a crazed Alpha. Will the love Fane has for Jacque be enough to give him the strength to defeat his enemy, will Jacque accept that she is Fane's mate and complete the bond between them?


I really enjoyed reading this book. The story is funny and original. It is a nice werewolf story with the focus on a werewolf’s mate. I really liked this focus because it is different from many other werewolf books.

The only big min point of this book is the writing style. I didn’t like the writing style and it took me some time to get used to it. The book is written in third person perspective, while I don't mind third person perspective, I think first person perspective would’ve been better for this book. Another thing I was irritated by was the fact that the third person perspective displayed for example the main characters thought but then suddenly an alinea for her mother’s thought. This was confusing and disrupted the flow of the book. Also somtimes the lead character would think something to herself and then the word I was used, while I think the author should've just stayed with she.

The story consist of two perspectives, that from Jacque and Fane. Sometimes we also get a small view in someone else thought, but I thought this was more confusing than constructive. I did liked the fact that we got to see both Jacqueline and fane’s side of the story. We got to see both their reactions to some events and I liked seeing both their sides to the story.

I really liked the story. The story is very original about a werewolf who suddenly found his mate while being an exchange student in another country. I also really liked all the information we got about the pack and the role of mates etc. It was obviously how much Fane was werewolf and this was visible in many interactions. Although I was a bit disappointed we don’t get to read any scenes where Fane is a werewolf and does normal werewolf things.

What I also liked in this book was that Fane being a werewolf wasn’t a huge secret that has to be guarded. Jacqueline talks about everything that happens with her friends and mother and I liked the fact that for a change it wasn’t a huge secret and the lead character decided to share everything with her friends.

I liked the characters in the book. Jacque’s friends weren’t just some fill up characters, no they had real personalities and added to the story. I also really liked Jacque and Fane and their relationship. I also liked the fact that there was quite a lot humor in this book. Jen, one of Jacque’s friends always has a sarcastic comment or a joke at hand and I liked this. Although there were some parts where I thought they made a bit too many jokes and should be serious for once. The only minpoint to the characters is that they accepted everything that happened too easily. Jacqueline’s whole world changes, but she rarely shows signs she has any difficulties accepting it. Most things she accepts very easy, like the fact Fane can change into a huge wolf, but later she throws a fit over some small detail.

To conclude: a very nice, funny and original werewolf story. I didn’t like the writing style and I had some problems getting used to it. Overall I really enjoyed reading this story and I liked all the information we got about the werewolves. The characters where very likeable, although they accepted everything that happened a bit too easily. I am looking forward to reading the rest of this series.

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Love the cover, great review!

    This one is moving up it's position on my stack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed the cover is very pretty. And the book is good too :). I can't wait to read the next two books.

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment