Sunday, January 8

Therian (Bloody Crescent #1)

Therian (Blood Crescent #1)
Roxanne Kade

Publication Date: October 9, 2011
Date Read: January 1, 2012
Source: Review Copy from Author
Format: E-Book

From Goodreads:
All Amberlyn Darksky has ever wanted is to be normal. But what if normal is everything supernatural and legendary?

Amber has never been ordinary. She has a gift, the ability to see memories through simple touch, and for her it’s a curse. Especially when she has to relive her mother’s death, the night she was born, through her father’s eyes. Leading a sheltered life for years under his constant watch has her yearning for freedom and her acceptance into Cyprus Falls University gives her just that.

She is immediately plunged into a world of true love, heart ache, seduction and horror. With a deepening affection for Tayelon Cree, whose sparkling hazel eyes leave her breathless, and the undeniable allure of Lucard Colbaine, who seems to be immune to her gift, can she accept what either of them represent in her life? And what about the steely eyed vampire who invades her dreams? When the blackouts and nightmares begin, Amber fears the pain that rips into her soul and threatens to destroy her. Before long she is faced with the truth of her destiny, as well as the devastating secrets that surround the people she holds dearest; dark secrets that will truly change the course of her very existence. Amber doesn’t know if she has the strength to accept the hand fate has dealt her. She will have to fight as hard as possible to remain human while the beasts inside her rage to take over.

3 stars, I like the book but there were also things I didn't like about it. Sometimes the story went too fast, sometimes too slow. I liked the overall story, but it took me some time to enjoy it.

The story starts with a prologue, which is a bit confusing, but in chapter one we get to know the significance of it. Then the real story starts. The story is about Amber, a girl who has never been outside in her whole life and now she is going to attend college. The beginning went a bit too fast. I also didn't understand how Amber could act so normal and not be awed by the world, when she first get's outside. Then she gets to college and instantly falls in love with a boy she meets. Then the story slows down a bit and Amber get;s used to college life, makes friends and falls in love. I found that she fell a bit too easy in love, she has never been outside before and not only does she instantly adapt to everything, but she also falls in ove so fast. Their relationship progresses very fast too. I found it difficult to get a sense of the character, but slowly we do get a sense of who everyone is. I also would've liked to know more about the side characters and what their role is.

Also Amber is not just a normal person, but she has a gift. When she touches people she sees their memories. We don't really get to know much about this gift. Does she see all memories or just some? And does how long she touched someone matter? And can she remember all those memories? I really found it disappointing that we didn't get to know more about her gift. I found it very interesting, but there was little attention for it in the book.

Also strange events are happening, Amber has strange dreams, she forgets some things and there are other events that give you a sign that something paranormal is up, but not until the end of the book so we get to know what is happening. I found the paranormal world and the thought behind it very interesting and very thought through. I really liked this part of the story, although I think it took the author a bit too long before revealing what is happening. I won't go into much detail as I don't want to spoil it.

To conclude I liked this story, and it had a lot of potential, but it just isn't great. I liked the paranormal twist and world in this story. The story sometimes moved too fast and sometimes too slow. I will be reading the next book, because the ending makes me really curious as to what will happen.

Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review. I think I might skip this one for now--not only is there a love triangle, but it sounds like it's insta-love, too. Both are kind of on my Do Not Want list right now, just because there's sooooo many books out right now that also use those tropes. So, I think this one's a pass for me.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like love traingles (altough I think the love triangle part will be bigger next book) and insta love and those are certainly two min points of this book. The books shows a lot of potential and an interesting world. So I am hoping book two will be better!

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment