Wednesday, November 23

Thorn Queen (Dark Swan #2)

Thorn Queen (Dark Swan #2)
Richelle Mead

Publication Date: August 13, 2009
Date Read: November 23, 2011
Format: Paperback
Pages: 480


From Goodreads:
Eugenie Markham is a shaman for hire, paid to bind and banish creatures from the Otherworld. But after her last battle, she's also become queen of the Thorn Land. It's hardly an envious life, not with her kingdom in tatters, her love life in chaos, and Eugenie eager to avoid the prophecy about her firstborn destroying mankind. And now young girls are disappearing from the Otherworld, and no one--except Eugenie--seems willing to find out why.

Eugenie has spilled plenty of fey blood in her time, but this enemy is shrewd, subtle, and nursing a very personal grudge. And the men in her life aren't making things any easier. Her boyfriend Kiyo is preoccupied with his pregnant ex, and sexy fey king Dorian always poses a dangerous distraction. With or without their help, Eugenie must venture deep into the Otherworld and trust in an unpredictable power she can barely control. Reluctant queen or not, Eugenie has sworn to do her duty--even if it means facing the darkest--and deadliest--side of her nature...
I really loved this book. I honestly didn't think it would be as good as the first one because of how much I loved the first one but Richelle Mead surpassed herself again. I think I actually enjoyed this one more than Storm Born. It was incredible.

Eugenie has to come to terms with the Otherworldly kingdom she now has to rule. She has never liked the Otherworld and definitely never thought she would be a part of it, let alone as a ruler but she has to come to terms with it, and fast. Before anything happens to her people and her land. But as always with Eugenie's life, everything isn't simple and she is faced with yet another quest she must find the answers to. Can she come to terms with her heritage while still keeping true to her heart?

I genuinely loved this book, I thought it was better than the first one in this series and that it was a lot more action-packed than the first one.
Eugenie as always is as kickass as ever and takes everything in her stride. She is definitely one of my favourite heroines and I just love this series and reading about her. She's amazing.
My feelings about Kiyo didn't really change much in this book, if anything my dislike of him grew stronger. I just don't really like him and I was so happy with the ending of this book. The more I read the more Kiyo really irritated me. He is one of those characters that I really would like to be read just so I could go and find him just so I could slap or punch him. As my dislike for Kiyo grew in this book my love for Dorian grew. The more I read about him the more I love him and I found myself flicking further through the book to see if there was a scene with him in coming up. And if I found his name in the next chapter or so it made me read quicker so that I could get to that part.

I felt so much while reading this book, especially for Eugenie. She went through hell in this book. Literally. And I just wanted to give her a hug. She probably would have punched me but I still wanted to hug her. I loved that we finally got to see a softer side to her. She's always been very hard-core and no-one can touch me or hurt me but I love that further on in this book we saw a softer more vulnerable side to her.
I am so excited to read the next book in this series and it absolutely kills me that I don't have it. I need it. Right Now!
Definitely one of my favourite series and I am just in awe of Richelle Mead and her work. All her books are amazing and if you haven't read them. Well what are you waiting for? Go get them right now.

Photobucket
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked the two first ones, I really liked this series it's so interesting, and Richelle Mead has created an amazing world. I hope you'll like the second one, you'll see it's so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am adding Mead to my list of authors to read in 2012. thanks, great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Melliane, I am super excited for the next 2 books but I am thinking about waiting until the last one is out and reading both together.

    @Kimba, I cannot believe you haven't read any Mead books yet. I am shocked. I have started all of her series. Haven't finished them all yet but they are all incredible you should definitely read them at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review Kay!
    I can't wait to read it now! I kinda wanna wait too tho and read them all back to back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiff that's what I'm gonna do with book 3, wait till book 4 is out and then read them both

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment