Saturday, July 16

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #1)


The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Carrie Ryan

Publication Date: March 10, 2009
Date Started: May 31, 2011
Date Finished: June 5, 2011
Format: Paperback
Pages: 310



From Goodreads:
In Mary's world there are simple truths. 
The Sisterhood always knows best. 
The Guardians will protect and serve. 
The Unconsecrated will never relent. 


And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

When I first started this book I wasn't really sure what I thought about it. I have never read a book about Zombies and didn't really know what to expect from it. I thought the beginning of the book was kinda slow and I really didn't understand what all the fuss about this book was about. But I kept reading thinking so many people loved this book, it might get better. And it did get better. Now I really like this book.

Mary lives in a small villiage in the middle of the forest that is inhabited by zombies, the Unconsecrated. After both her parents are turned and forced out to live with the other Unconsecrated she is forced into the Sisterhood where she begins to learn all sorta of secrets that the rest of the village don't know. When an outsider comes into the village Mary starts questioning everything she has ever known and been told. Could there be life outside of the fences surrounding the village other than the Unconsecrated?
Soon enough Mary escapes from the village that is under attack from them with her betrothed Harry, her brother and his wife, her best friend Cassie and Harry's brother, Travis whom she is desperately in love with.
As they all try to survive from the Unconsecrated they must try to find somewhere to go, somewhere where they have shelter and food. However not everything runs very smoothly when running from the Unconsecrated and tragedy must strike sooner or later.

I was so heartbroken when reading this book. I love happy ending and I just wanted her and Travis to be happy. But this book does not give you a happy ending. I cried do much as I was drawing closer and closer to the end of the book and all I wanted was for Mary and her companions to find the Ocean like Mary had always dreamed. This is such a dark book but it's definitely worth the read.

I really hated the ending.
It left so many things unanswered.
What happened to the resy of her group?
Does she go back to find then or just abandon them to the Unconsecrated?
I really felt like the book could have gone on longer and that there just wasn't much of a resolution as you should get with the end of the book.

I will be going on to read the second book of the series now, The Dead Tossed Waves, as I want answers.

Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment