Sunday, May 15

Review: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1)
Suzanne Collins

Published By: Scholastic
Publication Date: October 1, 2008
Date Read: March 10, 2011
Genre: YA - Dystopia
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Pages: 374
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2767052-the-hunger-games
From Goodreads:
Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death - televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS. LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.

This really isn't the kind of book I would normally read. It didn't really sound like my kind of thing and I had never read a Dystopia novel before. I'd heard so many raving reviews about how amazing the book was which made me want to give it a go and then when I heard about the movie being made it made me want to read it too as I love reading the books and then watching the movies a while after reading when the book is not so fresh in my mind. 

Because I didn't really think it would be my kind of thing I didn't really know what to expect from this book. I was absolutely blown away by this book. For the first couple of chapters I was on the fence with it as I was interested and curious as to what was going to happen and how the storyline would develop but then I was completely hooked. I was thrown into Katniss' world and I got so emotional while reading. I have to say I think Katniss is one of, if not the best female lead characters in a book. She is so strong and will do whatever it takes to protect her family which is just incredible. She won't go down without a fight and that's what I love about her. So many YA books have female characters who just moap around and wait for a guy to come along and save her but not Katniss and Katniss is definitely one of the reasons why I loved this book so much. The barbarity of the society she lives in completely blew my mind. Suzanne Collins is a absolute genius to think of this, i could never have imagined a society where children from age 12 get taken from their families, forced into an arena to fight to the death. It is just so horrible and barbaric, but it kept me hooked and I literally couldn't put the book down. I stayed up till 3am as I couldn't possibly put the book down to sleep as I would just be too stressed out about who was going to survive and who wasn't there was no possible way I would have been able to sleep. 

I loved that in this book there was romance but it was secondary to the main plot of the hunger games, I fell in love with Peeta straight away and he is definitely one of my favourite characters. I love how he kept saying little jokes to Katniss and it really lightened up the mood of the book. Because the storyline is so horrid, the thought of these children having to fight to the death just so they can see their families again is truly heartbreaking for anyone and I don't think anyone would be able to read this book without getting a little teary-eyes. But Peeta's comments lightened up the mood of the book and I just fell for him more and more as the book went on. 

I was so emotional with this book, the twists and turns, I could never guess what was going to happen next and I found myself on the verge of tears in many places of the book but completely sobbing at one particular place. Those of you who've read it will no exactly which part I mean. 

This book has definitely got me interested in the dystopian genre and I can't wait to find out what will happen next. I have read so many books and gave so many of them 5 stars but this book is truly my favourite book. Its the best book I have ever read so far and I am so glad that I finally picked it up.




8 comments:

  1. Oh Kayleigh...this is one of my absolute favorites!!! I love Katniss so much. And I love Gale, too. And Peeta. LOL

    I cannot wait until you finish Catching Fire and Mockingjay!!! Catching Fire is my favorite of the three. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked the book Kay!! I love love love Katniss so much!!!
    Looking forward to what you think of the rest of the series now!
    Emma
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Sammie, i was like god my review is so long but i couldn't stop talking about it i loved it so much. i've had the books for months but never thought they'd b the kinda think i would like and now i'm like i should have read them earlier haha

    i have 2 wait a little for catching fire so i'm reading wither in the meantime but i cnt wait to c how it all plays out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks em, i was so hooked i actually stayed up till 3am lst night to finish it i'm so tired today haha but it was worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay,
    I am so reading this book this week. I finished Uni work and now I have a few days off before I have to start my last two classes for the summer. Great review you definitely got me wanting to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks T, i really loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review K!!

    If I hadn't already read them I definitely would have picked them up based solely on your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww thanks :D
    i need 2 read the others now :P

    ReplyDelete

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment