Friday, May 13

Author Interview: SM Reine

SM Reine
Author of Six Moon Summer

Hi Sara, thanks for agreeing to this interview.
What made you go down the indie route?


I’ve been writing for years. I have a lot of perfectly good books that aren’t publishable traditionally for various reasons-- the “hook” isn’t strong enough, or it’s not long enough, or any number of things. There are readers for these books, but probably not enough to make it worthwhile for a traditional publishing company to invest in it.  Fortunately, the state of the market has made it that any author can reach the readers in her niche, so I decided to take Six Moon Summer -- which is a little short and has werewolves, which aren’t super popular right now -- and bring it straight to book lovers.


Who do you publish with and would you recommend it to other budding authors?


I publish directly through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Smashwords. They’re all excellent platforms and I highly recommend them.


Do you think it's a better way to publish or would you prefer to go down the traditional publishing route if you could?


I can’t say either is better. They’re different depending upon your goals. For my writing at this time, independent publishing is preferable, but I’ll probably get back to pursuing traditional publication in the future.


Did you have any problems while trying to get published and if so how did you overcome them?


The main problem is finding enough time for it. I have an infant at home, and being a new parent is very demanding. But not as demanding as publishing a novel! You have to wear many hats when forging through the publishing world alone, and publicity is almost as much work as writing and editing the book itself.


Your debut novel has recently been released, how do you feel about that?


I feel great. It’s hard work, but rewarding. I recently touched on the Kindle bestseller’s list for a short time, and that was so exhilarating. I hope to become a more permanent fixture soon!


How long did it take for you to write Six Moon Summer?


The rough draft took about a month. Editing took longer. I’m one of those writers for whom 90% of writing is rewriting.


The book is about werewolves, is paranormal a personal interest of yours?


Paranormal is definitely interesting to me. I was really into Wicca and therianthropy and aliens/ghosts/whatever when I was young and spent hours pouring over books about all that at the library. And I’m a huge X-Files fan!


How soon can we expect the next book?


The next book is scheduled tentatively for an Autumn 2011 release. I hope to have a firm date in July.


What kind of books do you enjoy reading?


I read almost exclusively speculative fiction. Urban fantasy is a big love of mine. I also have a soft spot for horror, and my first two published short stories were in that genre.


Do you have any favourite authors that you'll read their books no matter what?


No. I love Stephen King, but even he has some books I feel lukewarm about. I don’t think any writer can be on top of their game 100% of the time.


Is there a book that you can read again and again and never get bored of it?


Peter Pan. I’ve read it dozens of times and it never gets old. It’s such a touching story.


Lastly, do you have any advice for any budding authors who are looking to get published?


Take your time, but be persistent. Don’t give up. If you really love writing, then make it a part of your life, no matter how busy or distracted you get. There’s a quote that goes something like this: “What do you call a writer who never gives up? Published.”


Thanks for your time Sara :)

2 comments:

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment